Championing the humanities across a state as diverse as Maryland requires many contributors and much collaboration. That’s where our Grants Program comes in.
Major Grant (up to $10,000) deadlines are:
Mini Grant (up to $1,200) deadlines are:
Maryland Humanities provides grants to nonprofit organizations that use the humanities (literature, philosophy, history, etc.) to inspire all Marylanders to embrace lifelong learning, exchange ideas openly, and enrich their communities. Grant criteria encourage free, public programming in many forms including discussions, exhibits, lectures, living history, and seminars using the humanities as central tools to explore and understand the complexity of issues affecting their communities.
Goals of the Maryland Humanities Grants Program:
- Promote high-quality public programs that engage Maryland residents in lifelong learning,
- Support programs throughout the state offered by institutions and organizations not previously involved with Maryland Humanities,
- Reach audiences and communities (socio-economic and geographic) that are not served by other Maryland Humanities programs, and
- Support programs that effectively engage specific target audiences, with a focus on educationally underserved adults and students, families with young children (age 8 and under), prison populations, and veterans.
By the Numbers
- 772grant-supported events
- $168,814awarded in Maryland Humanities grants in FY2019
- 35Maryland Humanities grants awarded in FY2019
Who We Support
Maryland Humanities supports innovative humanities projects with grants of up to $10,000, in two funding levels:
- Major Grants: up to $10,000
- Mini Grants: up to $1,200