Where else could 31,000 students have so much fun, they forget how much they’re learning?
For middle and high school students who participate, Maryland History Day sparks critical thinking, and helps develop skills in research and analysis, writing, and public speaking.
Working solo or in small groups, students create original documentaries, exhibits, performances, research papers or websites exploring a breadth of historical topics within an annual theme. Students progress through competitions at the school, district, state, and national levels. Students from public, private, parochial, home, and cyber schools are welcome to participate. District contests are held throughout Maryland every February and March.
2021 Maryland History Day
- Theme: Communication in History: The Key to Understanding
- March 31, 2021: Registration closes for Maryland History Day
- May 1, 2021: Maryland History Day
- June 13-17, 2021: National History Day
By the Numbers
- 523educators participating in Maryland History Day
- 200schools participating in Maryland History Day
- 22districts participating in Maryland History Day
- 25,404students participating in Maryland History Day