Where else could 27,000 students have so much fun, they forget how much they’re learning?
Influencing the future through discovering the past.
For middle and high school students who participate, Maryland History Day sparks critical thinking, and helps develop skills in research and analysis, writing, and public speaking.
Working solo or in small groups, students create original documentaries, exhibits, performances, research papers or websites exploring a breadth of historical topics within an annual theme. Students progress through competitions at the school, district, state, and national levels. Students from public, private, home, and cyber schools are welcome to participate. District contests are held throughout Maryland every February and March.
2017 Maryland History Day
- Theme: This year’s theme is Taking A Stand in History.
- The statewide contest was held at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County on April 29, 2017.
- District contests were held throughout Maryland in February and March 2017.
- National History Day will be held June 11-15, 2017 at the University of Maryland, College Park.
By the Numbers
- 22districts participating in Maryland History Day
- 27,013students participating in Maryland History Day
- 395educators participating in Maryland History Day
- 200schools participating in Maryland History Day