Where else could 31,000 students have so much fun, they forget how much they’re learning?
For middle and high school students who participate, Maryland History Day sparks critical thinking, and helps develop skills in research and analysis, writing, and public speaking.
Working solo or in small groups, students create original documentaries, exhibits, performances, research papers or websites exploring a breadth of historical topics within an annual theme. Students progress through competitions at the school, district, state, and national levels. Students from public, private, parochial, home, and cyber schools are welcome to participate. District contests are held throughout Maryland every February and March.
2023 Maryland History Day
- Theme: Frontiers in History: People, Places, Ideas
- March 29, 2023: Registration closes for Maryland History Day
- April 12, 2023: Project Upload Deadline
- May 6, 2023: Maryland History Day Contest, UMBC
- TBA: National History Day
By the Numbers
- 200schools participating in Maryland History Day
- 25,404students participating in Maryland History Day
- 22districts participating in Maryland History Day
- 523educators participating in Maryland History Day