The suggestion box is open! Do you have a book you love, that you think can bring Maryland’s communities together through discussion, learning, and enrichment?
Share your ideas for what Maryland will read in 2024! Submit your title suggestions by Friday, November 17, 2023.
The theme for One Maryland One Book 2024 is:
In a time of uncertain futures, knowing how we will live tomorrow depends on considering, reckoning, and restoring the issues of today. These could be monumental ones of politics, environment, and society; intimate ones of the self, relationships, and daily life; or more likely, a combination of both.
Literature helps us envision this. Across genres, writers show us possibilities for who we can be, as individuals and communities, and what struggles we must come to terms with to get there. What books have shown you a future that compels you to reckon with it in the present?
You are welcome to interpret the theme freely.
Along with the theme, titles are selected for the following criteria:
• published in 2014 or later
• up to 350 pages
• available in paperback, affordably priced
• available in print, audio, electronic format and, if possible, large print, film, or translation
• able to generate sustained discussion on the year’s theme
• of interest people in the state of Maryland
• appealing to a wide + diverse range of readers of different backgrounds and reading levels
• appropriate to high school age readers as well as adults
While our titles are typically fiction or nonfiction, we also consider books of poetry, essays, short stories, and plays. We are committed to titles that bring diverse voices & narratives into the mix.
Books by living authors, and/or authors who are in Maryland are a consideration, but not a criterion.
Wondering what we’ve selected in the past? Review our Past Picks.